Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 24 ounces sausage
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 pound white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tbl red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 18 oz kale or spinach
- Place 3 tablespoons olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausages and saute until cooked through.
- Remove sausage and allow to cool.
- In the same pot, add 1 additional tablespoon olive oil. Saute onions, garlic, paprika, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add red wine vinegar and scrape to remove anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add sweet and white potatoes. Cover with 3 quarts chicken broth.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Slice cooled sausage and add to pot. Stir in kale or spinach and allow to wilt for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Remove from heat, and allow to rest 10 minutes, covered, before serving.