Shredded Mexican Beef Over Polenta
- 1 cup corn meal, polenta or yellow grits
- 3.5 cups water or chicken broth (for an extra rich polenta, swap out 1 cup of water for whole milk!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbl butter
- 1.5 lbs leftover beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 10oz can tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- Optional: Cheese, sour cream, hot sauce
- Polenta: Heat water or broth to boiling. (If using milk, do not boil it! Hold milk and add with polenta.)
- Reduce heat to low and stir in grits, polenta or corn meal. Add butter and milk, if using. Stir until smooth, then cover tightly with lid. Cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep polenta from sticking.
- Mexican Beef: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add beef, tomatoes & chiles, corn, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- Serve over polenta, top with cheese and sour cream if desired.