Yields 1 9x13 or 2 8x8 pans
Maple Bread Pudding
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups (7 1/4 to 8 ounces) cubed bread*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, grade B preferred
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple flavor or vanilla extract, or 1/8 teaspoon butter-pecan or butter-rum flavor oil
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar
- 1/4 cup diced pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
Just about any kind of bread will do, but brioche, panettone, croissants or white bread, along with anything nutty and/or grainy, is especially good.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease baking dish.
- Place the bread cubes into the prepared pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, syrup, sugar, flavoring, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Pour over the bread cubes and let sit for at least 15 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Press the cubes down into the liquid if the edges are dry. A longer soak will produce a richer pudding.
- Bake the pudding for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the nuts and sugar.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the pudding has puffed up and is light brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes - the pudding will sink as it sits; that's OK.
- Serve immediately, or reheat before serving.