- 5 lbs. chicken carcasses, bones, or wings
- 3 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spread chicken carcasses, onions, carrots and celery on cookie sheets and roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Place carcasses, aromatics and bay leaves in stock pot. Cover with 4 qts water.
- Bring to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL!) and allow to cook for 1 hour. Skim foam through the cooking process, but avoid stirring.
- At 1 hour, strain stock into a second stock pot. Allow to cool and, if desired, remove any fat that rises to the top before using.
No salt? No pepper? A stock is meant to be a base for soups, sauces, etc. and therefore, is unseasoned in the cooking process. This gives the cook complete control over the seasoning of their dishes.