DOUBLE INGREDIENTS WHEN USING A COOKIE SHEET. USE AS LISTED FOR CASSEROLE.
- 1/2 c butter
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 c AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a cookie sheet or pan.
- Melt butter. Stir in sugar. Add eggs and whisk until fully incorporated
- Combine buttermilk and baking soda. Add to egg mixture.
- Add cornmeal, flour, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes.
- Check for doneness. Bake for additional 5 minute increments until top of bread is golden and center is cooked through.
For Bread: You may use an 8” pan for thicker slices and bake for 30 minutes. This is a forgiving and flexible recipe! You can mix in green chiles, jalapenos, corn kernals, or cheddar cheese! (We also hear it’s good with blueberries!) For Croutons: Cool bread, and remove from pan by slicing into 1” cubes. Toast for 5-7 minutes at 450°