Yields 4 Calzones
Asparagus & Mozzarella Calzones
- Pizza dough
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch of asparagus, chopped or sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 c grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 anchovies
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 italian sausage links, sliced thinly and fried
- Italian sausage, bulk. Cooked and crumbled.
- Preheat oven to 500° and line one cookie sheet with parchment paper OR dust with cornmeal.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for two minutes. Add asparagus, chili, salt and pepper. Cook until asparagus is cooked through, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Remove asparagus mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly while preparing other ingredients.
- Sprinkle AP flour over cutting board. Divide dough into four balls. Roll out one piece of dough. On one half of the circle, spread ½ c mozzarella cheese and ¼ of the asparagus mixture, leaving a lip the entire way around.
- Fold dough over and pinch edges together to form a half-moon shape. Move calzone to prepared cookie sheet and repeat rolling and filling for each additional calzone.
- Place cookie sheet in oven for 6-8 minutes, until calzones are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before eating – they will be very hot!